Visit us on Google, leave a review or get a map of our location
Sprint Speed - Agility - Explosive Power - Strength - Sports Performance - Elite Fitness
Customised Online Coaching and Training Programs
Local Squad Training (Merrylands/Granville)
One on One Training (Sydney). Limited Places Available
Sprint Ninja Assessment Session
The Sprint Ninja Assessment: Fitness testing, training program & biomechanics coaching.
Train With Us. Click Here.
The Importance of Being Competitive
Being competitive is often seen as a negative thing. No doubt you have heard that you shouldn’t compare yourself to others, just do it for yourself. Well this is true and healthy in certain areas of life, but it shouldn’t be used universally for everything that you do. The world has become too politically correct, where kids playing sports at a young age are not even allowed to keep score because it upsets the losing team or athletes.
In sports performance that is bullshit. Usain Bolt would not be breaking world records by such a margin if competition and a drive to win were not a motivating factor for him. The same goes for everyone else. You NEED a healthy competitive streak. Nothing motivates a person more than than the desire to win and the fear of losing. Competition and comparison is what drives people to the upper limit of their potential.
How Does Competition Enhance Performance?
When you train on your own and without comparison against others you have no way of knowing how well you are progressing. Your own judgement is often highly inaccurate. Competitive athletes obviously have exposure to a competitive environment by default. But even so, they are not always in that environment.
Without comparison your brain has no subconscious leverage to drive you towards maximum improvement. Introduce competition and the results are almost instant. An athlete that can sprint 100m in training in a time of 10.50 is likely to run that same distance in 10.20 or faster while racing against athletes of the same level or greater. The survival instinct in our brains compels us to outdo our competition.
Competition is necessary for performance enhancement. Everyone that is striving for greater performance should introduce a competitive aspect.
Most athletes participate in regular competition. That’s exactly what sport is. However it is often not quite enough. Athletes can benefit from competition in the training setting as well as through remote competition such as comparing one’s results to others via remote communication such as email, social media, blogs, forums etc.
Non athletes and athletes that are not regularly competing can often go a little stale in their training. There is no instinctive leverage or urge to rapidly enhance performance and win.
This can be solved through informal of formal competition. The following are a few ways to incorporate competition into your training in order to enhance performance….
- Train with athletes of a similar level. If you’re a 22 second 200m sprinter then train with others that have are capable of similar times. Be competitive with each other. Aim to outdo each other regularly.
- Remotely compare your performance with others. You may not have actual training partners of a similar ability. So compare yourself remotely via forums, social media etc. Share results for comparison, be truthful and develop the drive to win.
- Compare yourself to the best athletes in the world, regardless of the massive gap in performance. Think of Tyson Gay as your rival for example. Compare yourself to him and aim to beat him, even if it seems far-fetched.
- Publicly declare your intent to perform at a particular level. For example, use facebook to tell everyone that you will run an 11 second 100m. Always set a difficult goal, one that is extremely difficult to reach but not impossible. Post your intentions on facebook so that backing down or slacking off will make you look silly. It’s a way of burning bridges so that you have no choice but to achieve the desired outcome. It’s not competition perse, however it works in similar ways.
- If you don’t already do it, start competing in organised competitions. If you’re a sprinter then register for as many races as you can. If you’re a rugby player then play as much rugby as you can. Nothing drives performance like actual competition.
Long story short, being competitive and comparing yourself to others is useful in performance enhancement. Aim to be competitive on a regular basis. It drives you forward while also keeping tabs on your progress.
Return to our home page from being competitive.
- Sydney Sprint Coach Blog
- The Sydney Sprint Coach blog will keep you up to date with all changes made to endlesshumanpotential.com subscribe now to keep yourself updated.
- Sprint Ninja Training System
- The Sprint Ninja training system is a complete system of sprint training and high performance...
- Sprint Workouts - Sprinting WOD
- The sprint workouts section is designed not as a complete training program in itself, but as a section providing sprint workouts...
- Sprint Ninja Challenges - Official Sprint Ninja fitness testing and ranking.
- Welcome to the Sprint Ninja Challenges section. Here you will find benchmark challenges and fitness tests based on the Sprint Ninja training methods....
- Contact Sprint Ninja
- Contact Sprint Ninja: Join Us Or Ask A Question
- Sprint Training
- Sprint training is a form of training applicable across a large range of domains for both the individual and the athlete....
- Strength Training Hub
- Welcome to the Sprint Ninja Strength Training Hub. The aim here is to give people an in-depth, working knowledge of strength and how to obtain it....
- Sport and Exercise Science Articles
- Welcome to the sport and exercise science articles section. Here you will find articles and information that explains the science behind fitness and performance training, how the body works....
- Sport and Athletic Conditioning Articles
- Welcome to the sport and athletic conditioning articles section. Here you will find articles pertaining to specific sports and athletic events....
- Nutritional Guidelines
- Nutritional guidelines are a confusing topic for most people. There is so much contradictory information available online....
- Early childhood physical development
- Early childhood physical development is just as important as childhood mental and psychological development...
- Weight Loss Articles
- Welcome to the weight loss articles section. Here you will find articles and information specifically targeted at weight loss/fat loss....
- General Fitness Articles
- Welcome to the general fitness articles section. Here you will find articles and information that applies to fitness as a whole but does not fall into other categories....
- Power Training
- Power training is often a very confused and confusing component of training, for both the general public and among coaches/trainers. ..
- Psychology of Speed
- The psychology of speed, an often underestimated aspect of the development of sprinting speed...
- Ideal Fitness Program
- The ideal fitness program is something people have been searching for ever since we discovered that regular and planned training can change the....
- Training Objectives
- This is a comprehensive set of guidelines, training objectives and an overall plan to be applied to all training programs...
- Ten Components of Fitness
- The ten components of fitness are the aspects of physical development that UNLEASHED Training aims to facilitate. Most programmes focus on only one or a small number of these fitness components...
- Definition of Fitness
- The definition of fitness is so difficult to pin down. I have searched for a definition for years, ever since I first started my studies in fitness, strength and conditioning. I have witnessed...
- Art of Movement
- The art of movement is something you will see discussed in many texts, in one way or another. This is a concept that was visited, studied and developed hundreds and even thousands of years ago...
- Body Weight Exercises
- The following is a list of body weight exercises used by Unleashed Training as part of the Evolve fitness program. This page includes just simple text descriptions of each exercise...
- Body Weight Workouts
- Welcome to the UNLEASHED body weight workouts. Here you will find workouts of all kinds in a mostly randomised manner....
- Minimalist Fitness Programs
- Minimalist fitness programs are simplified fitness programs that can be used for total development of one or more components of fitness. ..
- Military Fitness Articles
- Welcome to the military fitness articles section. Here you will find articles and information that applies to military fitness....