PLEASE NOTE: We are undergoing a name change. Unleashed Training is now Sprint Ninja. We still offer high quality strength and conditioning along with personal training, with our specialty being sprint training.
Sprint Coaching and Strength & Conditioning
Face to face Coaching & Online Programs
Sprint Ninja Coaching Services - Click Here
Combat Conditioning Program
Strength and Conditioning Program for the MMA Fighter
Combat conditioning has inherently unique requirements. The nature of
martial arts is wide, varied and unpredictable. For this reason strength
and conditioning for the martial artist needs to be structured to meet
the many varied needs of the athlete. Keep in mind that this is a
summarised program with only the basic instructions, unlike the programs
in our downloads section.
The following combat conditioning
program is specifically for a mixed martial artist who resorts
extensively to ground fighting, specifically Brazillian Jui Jitsu, but
also requires striking ability.
This program incorporates two phases, each phase being six weeks long.
Simply follow workout one through to workout four then rest two days and repeat until the phase is over.
Phase one is designed to build a solid foundation in preparation of more highly specific combat conditioning.
This workout requires a partner.
Stand on a soft surface like grass or jigsaw mats. Have a partner roll a medicine ball at your feet. Jump over the ball into a sprawl then immediately spin around onto your back in preparation for a guard position.
Complete a total of 30 times.
This is a strength workout utilising pushing movements.
Front squat for 5-5-5 reps
Bench press for 5-5-5 reps
Push-press for 10-10 reps
This is a strength workout using pulling movements.
Dead-lift for 5-5 reps
Single leg dead-lift for 10-10 reps
Pull-ups 2 x max reps
Bent-over row for 5-5-5 reps
Complete the following for time…
Burpee broad jumps x 50 metres
Dumbell bear crawl x 50 metres
High box jump x 50
Back bridge crab crawl 2 x 20 metres (one time each direction)
Phase two is a more specific phase of training designed to develop specific skill-related fitness.
Mark out 20-30 metres.
Crawl face down as low as possible (stomach touching ground) for 20 metres.
Lying on your back, crawl back 20 metres using a guard pass style of crawling.
Complete five rounds.
Back squat for 5-5-5 Superset each set with five deep broad jumps
Heavy thrusters 3-3-3 Superset each set with five squat jumps on the spot
Push-ups, as many as you can do in five minutes. Rest as many times as necessary. For added difficulty use gymnastics rings for your push-ups.
Strict overhead barbell press for 8-8-8 reps
Heavy dead-lift singles x 5
Turkish get-up x 3 each side
Two-point push-up x 20 each arm. Partition reps as needed.
Pull-ups, as many as possible in five minutes. Rest as many times as necessary.
Five rounds of the following for time…
Kettlebell swing x 20
Single push-up, single sit-up alternating as fast as possible for 20 reps of each
Squat jumps x 10
10 metre shuttle sprints from a lying start and lying down between each sprint x 4
Follow the preceding combat conditioning program for the prescribed
time. Once the program has been completed then move onto a different
program. All strength and conditioning programs operate in a saw-tooth
pattern. When you begin a program you get results. After a period of
weeks or months the results start to level off until you are no longer
progressing. From there the results come to a halt and then even begin
to decline back to previous levels of conditioning. This is why it is
essential that you change your program every 8-12 weeks and include periods of recovery.
Return to our home page from Combat Conditioning.
- Sydney Sprint Coach Blog
- The Sydney Sprint Coach blog will keep you up to date with all changes made to endlesshumanpotential.com subscribe now to keep yourself updated.
- Sydney Personal Training
- Sydney personal training with Unleashed Training: Unleashed Training offers Sydney personal training services in the Merrylands, Granville, Parramatta and Guildford area.
- About Sprint Ninja
- Sprint Ninja is a fitness and physical performance business utilising an effective set of systems and training principles, specialising in sprinting performance...
- About Chris Lyons
- Chris Lyons is an experienced strength and conditioning coach, having trained athletes of all ages and levels since 2002. Chris specialises in coaching athletes for....
- Evolve Training System
- The EVOLVE training system is a complete system of sprint training in all its forms....
- Sprint Workouts - Sprinting WOD
- The sprint workouts section is designed not as a complete training program in itself, but as a section providing sprint workouts...
- Sprint Training
- Sprint training is a form of training applicable across a large range of domains for both the individual and the athlete....
- Super Human Strength
- Super human strength is something all athletes and most of the general population would love to achieve. ...
- Power Training
- Power training is often a very confused and confusing component of training, for both the general public and among coaches/trainers. ..
- Psychology of Speed
- The psychology of speed, an often underestimated aspect of the development of sprinting speed...
- Ideal Fitness Program
- The ideal fitness program is something people have been searching for ever since we discovered that regular and planned training can change the....
- Training Principles
- Training principles are the universally applicable guidelines that should be met in order to achieve a given training objective...
- Training Objectives
- This is a comprehensive set of guidelines, training objectives and an overall plan to be applied to all training programs...
- Ten Components of Fitness
- The ten components of fitness are the aspects of physical development that UNLEASHED Training aims to facilitate. Most programmes focus on only one or a small number of these fitness components...
- Definition of Fitness
- The definition of fitness is so difficult to pin down. I have searched for a definition for years, ever since I first started my studies in fitness, strength and conditioning. I have witnessed...
- Unleashed Challenges - Official Unleashed Training Fitness testing and ranking.
- Welcome to the UNLEASHED Challenges section. Here you will find benchmark challenges and fitness tests based on the UNLEASHED Training methods....
- Body Weight Exercises
- The following is a list of body weight exercises used by Unleashed Training as part of the Evolve fitness program. This page includes just simple text descriptions of each exercise...
- Body Weight Workouts
- Welcome to the UNLEASHED body weight workouts. Here you will find workouts of all kinds in a mostly randomised manner....
- Ideal Strength Training Program
- The ideal strength training program is difficult to find. It is difficult because, in terms of any kind of physical conditioning...
- Minimalist Fitness Programs
- Minimalist fitness programs are simplified fitness programs that can be used for total development of one or more components of fitness. ..
- Art of Movement
- The art of movement is something you will see discussed in many texts, in one way or another. This is a concept that was visited, studied and developed hundreds and even thousands of years ago...
- Strength Articles
- Welcome to the strength articles section. Here you will find articles relating to strength training in all its forms....
- Sport and Athletic Conditioning Articles
- Welcome to the sport and athletic conditioning articles section. Here you will find articles pertaining to specific sports and athletic events....
- Weight Loss Articles
- Welcome to the weight loss articles section. Here you will find articles and information specifically targeted at weight loss/fat loss....
- Military Fitness Articles
- Welcome to the military fitness articles section. Here you will find articles and information that applies to military fitness....
- General Fitness Articles
- Welcome to the general fitness articles section. Here you will find articles and information that applies to fitness as a whole but does not fall into other categories....
- Sport and Exercise Science Articles
- Welcome to the sport and exercise science articles section. Here you will find articles and information that explains the science behind fitness and performance training, how the body works....
- Nutritional Guidelines - The Unleashed Training nutritional prescription
- The following are the basic nutritional guidelines and recommendations for Unleashed Training. It is written in plain language and is easy for you to understand.....
- Paleo Diet
- The paleo diet is a recently popular way of eating. It is gaining traction in the health and fitness world and is especially popular with fitness movements such as CrossFit.
- Boosting Testosterone
- Boosting testosterone and other hormonal functions is a somewhat obscure topic to all but the hardcore bodybuilder or strength athlete. Everyone likes to focus on training hard....
- Intermittent Fasting
- Intermittent fasting is a nutritional habit that involves periods of time throughout a 24 hour period where no food is consumed. To clarify, a period of fasting involves...
- Strength Training for Kids
- Strength training for kids is a controversial topic of conversation. Old wisdom suggests that strength training is dangerous for children and will lead to failure to grow...
- Strength training for children
- Strength training for children has been a debated topic for many years now...
- Exercise For Children
- Exercise for children is one of those new-age topics of conversation and a major money spinner for corporations trying to cash in on “what’s hot”...
- Early childhood physical development
- Early childhood physical development is just as important as childhood mental and psychological development...