Personal Training --- Sprint Coaching --- Evolve Outdoor Group Training
- Sydney CBD (coming soon)
- One on one personal training
- Sprint coaching
- Outdoor group training
- Small group, semi-private training
Training with Unleashed is hard,
intense and can be competitive. We don’t offer a soft option, we get results. If
you were looking for gentle exercise then you have come to the wrong place. If you
are willing to work harder than you ever have before to get results like you
have never experienced, then you are indeed in the right place. Welcome aboard.
Jeanne Calment is a lady that has always fascinated me. Recently I did a study on super-centenarians (those that live beyond 110 years of age) and found some pretty interesting stories. For those that don’t know, Jeanne Calment is the oldest verified human being ever. She lived until the ripe old age of 122 years, 134 days. I can’t help but wonder what it is that allows someone to live to such an age in relatively good health. When she died she simply expired. She dodged the ravages of dementia, cancer, heart disease, stroke and all the other nasties that end lives well before the age that Mrs. Calment was able to live.
So in my studies I focused on what factors allowed her to live so long. Later I will outline her own advice and some advice of my own, but first lets take a brief look at Jeanne and who she was.
Jeanne Calment Had an Historical Life
Jeanne was born on 21st of February 1875 in Arles, France. She lived a happy and interesting life by her own accounts. She outlived both her daughter and her grandson. She entered the Guinness book of records in 1988 as the oldest person living. In 1995 she was declared the oldest person to have ever lived. Her life was highly documented, with more proof of her age being recorded than any other case of super-centenarian.
In 1888 Jeanne Calment met artist Vincent Van Gogh. He came into her uncle’s paint shop where she worked. She didn’t much like him, she referred to him as badly dressed, dirty and disagreeable. In 1896 she married her second cousin Fernand Calment, a wealthy store owner. His wealth allowed Jeanne to live a lifestyle free from stress and responsibility. She was able to spend her time pursuing hobbies like tennis, cycling, swimming, rollerskating, piano and opera. It was a leisured lifestyle, which as I will soon explain, is likely responsible for her living to such an advanced age.
In 1965 at age 90, with no heirs, Calment signed a deal to sell her former apartment to lawyer Andre-Francois Raffray on a contingency contract. Raffray, who was 47 at the time, agreed to pay her a sum of 2500 francs every month until she died. This is often referred to as a reverse mortgage. Raffray ended up paying Jeanne Calment the equivalent of US$180,000, which was more than double the apartment’s value. After Raffray’s death at age 77, his widow continued the payments until Calment passed away. This is a story I find rather amusing. He thought he was making a clever deal. What a surprise when she was still kicking for a further 32 years.
Jeanne‘s Long Life: How to Live Until 122
One would think that someone living to age 122 would lead an impeccably healthy lifestyle. This is not so in the case of Jeanne Calment. In fact, I have read about several super-centenarians that indulged in various “unhealthy” behaviours. Jeanne enjoyed cheap red wine and port, she ate up to a kilogram of chocolate per week and she smoked pretty much her whole life. At age 117 doctors tried to get her to quit smoking (why, I will never know). However two years later she was seen sneaking a few puffs in private. Hmmm, another life cut tragically short by the harmful effects of smoking.
Her advanced age can possibly be attributed to a few things. The first thing is her calmness and lack of worry. She often said how much she enjoyed her laid back lifestyle and never worried about anything. These days we are too introspective. We worry about how healthy or unhealthy things are which, paradoxically, seems create worse health due to the direction of focus and the subsequent anxiety it creates. Jeanne Calment never worried and just did whatever made her happy. She is reported by many as being a very social, calm and happy person. She once said “of course I’m calm, that’s why they call me calment.
Secondly it is highly likely that Jeanne had some kind of rare genetic protection against smoking. Many people will be cut short in their 40s due to smoking, but not Jeanne. She did it all her life and was never affected. This points to a genetically protected body to resist the harshness smoking reaps on the human body.
Lastly Jeanne Calment participated in low level aerobic exercise all her life with the occasional high intensity systemic load, normally due to work or lifestyle factors. There is a prominent pattern of super-centenarians living similar lifestyles.
What Can You Do?
You may not be genetically protected from harsh carcinogens, however there are certain measures you can take to reach 122, or even 100 for that matter.
- Keep a calm mind and avoid internal and external stress. Take life with a little humour, even when things are tough. Meditate if you need to and enjoy activities that are pleasant to you.
- Exercise consistently all your life. This can include any form of exercise, mix it up with high and low intensity, strength training, sports etc. This trait seems to be consistent with many super-centenarians.
- Don’t be too introspective. Meaning don’t focus on all the unhealthy things you do. If you must enjoy an alcoholic drink do it in moderation and don’t be guilty about it.
- Keep your calorie intake about 20% lower than the typical western diet. Caloric restriction has been positively linked to longevity in numerous studies.
- Most of all I recommend enjoying your life, just as Jeanne Calment did. Don’t worry about minor things. But most of all have no regrets. If you only live until 80 but you enjoy your life it is better than living miserably until 120.
Click here to visit the Jeanne wikipedia page.
Return to our home page from Jeanne Calment.
- Personal Trainers Sydney
- Personal trainers Sydney: Evolve is the flagship training program of Unleashed Training. The purpose of Evolve is to relearn...
- Sprint Training Programs
- The focus of Unleashed Training is to build better athletes. Our sprint training programs are aimed at athletes of all ages from all sports at all levels...
- Personal Trainers Sydney
- Personal Trainers Sydney: You have a busy lifestyle and don’t have the time to spend an hour a day working out...
- Sydney Sprint Coaching
- Unleashed Training and Chris Lyons, Your Sydney sprint coaching program
- Submit a Post
- Publish your own post/article to feature on this site...
- Body Weight Workouts
- Welcome to the UNLEASHED body weight workouts. Here you will find workouts of all kinds in a mostly randomised manner....
- Sprint Workouts - Sprinting WOD
- The sprint workouts section is designed not as a complete training program in itself, but as a section providing sprint workouts...
- Minimalist Fitness Programs
- Minimalist fitness programs are simplified fitness programs that can be used for total development of one or more components of fitness. ..
- Strength Training for Kids
- Strength training for kids is a controversial topic of conversation. Old wisdom suggests that strength training is dangerous for children and will lead to failure to grow...
- Art of Movement
- The art of movement is something you will see discussed in many texts, in one way or another. This is a concept that was visited, studied and developed hundreds and even thousands of years ago...
- Ideal Fitness Program
- The ideal fitness program is something people have been searching for ever since we discovered that regular and planned training can change the....
- Training Principles
- Training principles are the universally applicable guidelines that should be met in order to achieve a given training objective...
- About Chris Lyons
- Chris Lyons is an experienced strength and conditioning coach, having trained athletes of all ages and levels since 2002. Chris specialises in coaching athletes for....
- Sydney Sprint Coach Blog
- The Sydney Sprint Coach blog will keep you up to date with all changes made to endlesshumanpotential.com subscribe now to keep yourself updated.
- Body Weight Exercises
- The following is a list of body weight exercises used by Unleashed Training as part of the Evolve fitness program. This page includes just simple text descriptions of each exercise...
- Unleashed Challenges - Official Unleashed Training Fitness testing and ranking.
- Welcome to the UNLEASHED Challenges section. Here you will find benchmark challenges and fitness tests based on the UNLEASHED Training methods....
- Super Human Strength
- Super human strength is something all athletes and most of the general population would love to achieve. ...
- Definition of Fitness
- The definition of fitness is so difficult to pin down. I have searched for a definition for years, ever since I first started my studies in fitness, strength and conditioning. I have witnessed...
- Ten Components of Fitness
- The ten components of fitness are the aspects of physical development that UNLEASHED Training aims to facilitate. Most programmes focus on only one or a small number of these fitness components...
- Benefits of Strength Training
- The benefits of strength training are well documented. Strength training is used in a broader range of contexts than any other component of fitness....
- Ideal Strength Training Program
- The ideal strength training program is difficult to find. It is difficult because, in terms of any kind of physical conditioning...
- Sprint Training
- Sprint training is a form of training applicable across a large range of domains for both the individual and the athlete....
- Training Objectives
- This is a comprehensive set of guidelines, training objectives and an overall plan to be applied to all training programs...
- Nutritional Guidelines - The Unleashed Training nutritional prescription
- The following are the basic nutritional guidelines and recommendations for Unleashed Training. It is written in plain language and is easy for you to understand.....
- Strength Articles
- Welcome to the strength articles section. Here you will find articles relating to strength training in all its forms....
- Sport and Athletic Conditioning Articles
- Welcome to the sport and athletic conditioning articles section. Here you will find articles pertaining to specific sports and athletic events....
- Mixed Martial Arts Articles
- Welcome to the mixed martial arts articles section. Here you will find articles and information that apply to mixed martial arts....
- Weight Loss Articles
- Welcome to the weight loss articles section. Here you will find articles and information specifically targeted at weight loss/fat loss....
- General Fitness Articles
- Welcome to the general fitness articles section. Here you will find articles and information that applies to fitness as a whole but does not fall into other categories....
- Sport and Exercise Science Articles
- Welcome to the sport and exercise science articles section. Here you will find articles and information that explains the science behind fitness and performance training, how the body works....
- Military Fitness Articles
- Welcome to the military fitness articles section. Here you will find articles and information that applies to military fitness....
- Fitness For Kids
- Welcome to the fitness for kids section. Here you will find articles and information specifically targeted at children.....