PLEASE NOTE: We are undergoing a name change. Unleashed Training is now Sprint Ninja. We still offer high quality strength and conditioning along with personal training, with our specialty being sprint training.
Sprint Coaching and Strength & Conditioning
Face to face Coaching & Online Programs
Sprint Ninja Coaching Services - Click Here
Water Polo Conditioning Program
Strength and Conditioning for the Water Polo Athlete
Water polo conditioning is harder to target than many other sports. Water polo needs to be trained rather specifically yet also inclusive of general strength and conditioning.
The following program is aimed at water polo conditioning at all levels. Of course, due to the volume and intensity, the player should be aware that this is serious, I mean that it is a program designed for very high levels of conditioning and for those wanting to bring their A game.
The following program can be performed for any length of time. I personally recommend around 12 weeks before moving on and creating a bit more variety. This program includes strength, power, dry-land conditioning and water conditioning.
Cycle through from workout one to workout nine on a three days on one day off pattern. You may have to intelligently cycle workouts around game days and skill sessions.
With a water polo ball, simply throw the ball as far as possible and swim after it. Keep repeating while doing laps up and down the pool. Complete a total of 3.5km. Time yourself doing this and try and improve on it each time.
The following is a strength and conditioning session.
Deep front squats (all the way to the floor) 3 x 15
Single leg calf raises holding a dumbell 3 x 15 each leg
Bent-over row superset with pull-ups 2 x 10 - 15
Perform push-ups with a further 30 percent added to your body weight. This can be done by having a partner place a weight plate or two on your back. 3 x max
Over-head dumbell press 2 x 12
This one is best done with a coach or partner.
Have a partner stand on the edge of the pool with a whistle. Every time your partner blows the whistle, he/she will point in a random direction, you swim in the direction pointed to until the whistle blows again. Each time the whistle blows the goal is to stop and look as fast as possible and sprint-swim in that direction.
Perform five rounds of five minutes each. Rest one minute between each round.
Single leg squats, AKA pistols 3 x 12
Clap push-ups 3 x 8
Power-cleans 3 x 5
Body weight squats 1 x 50
Egg beater for 30 seconds with hands held in the air, one minute with hands assisting then swim underwater as far as possible and repeat. Do this continuously for 20 minutes.
Heavy barbell thrusters 5 x 5
For this workout you will need access to a an indoor rower. Preferably a concept two.
For all intervals row as hard and fast as possible.
Rest two minutes between each set of intervals.
Extra slow overhead squats 3 x 8
Barbell snatch 1 x 8
Extra slow chin-ups 2 x max
Extra slow push-ups 2 x max
BY MAX I MEAN UNTIL YOU CANNOT POSSIBLY PERFORM ANOTHER REPETITION.
Swim 10 metres backstroke, stop and have a partner pass you a ball, pass it back and repeat for 50 metres. Repeat the process using freestyle with head out for another 50 metres. Complete three rounds of each with two minutes rest between sets.
When you finish, egg beater for 30 seconds hands up, 30 seconds hands assisting then get as much height out of the water as possible and repeat for three minutes.
The preceding water polo conditioning program is obviously designed for reasonably serious players or those that want to excel. However water polo conditioning can be a great way to gain all-round fitness and increased swimming ability.
Return to our home page from water polo conditioning.
- Sydney Sprint Coach Blog
- The Sydney Sprint Coach blog will keep you up to date with all changes made to endlesshumanpotential.com subscribe now to keep yourself updated.
- Sydney Personal Training
- Sydney personal training with Unleashed Training: Unleashed Training offers Sydney personal training services in the Merrylands, Granville, Parramatta and Guildford area.
- About Sprint Ninja
- Sprint Ninja is a fitness and physical performance business utilising an effective set of systems and training principles, specialising in sprinting performance...
- About Chris Lyons
- Chris Lyons is an experienced strength and conditioning coach, having trained athletes of all ages and levels since 2002. Chris specialises in coaching athletes for....
- Evolve Training System
- The EVOLVE training system is a complete system of sprint training in all its forms....
- Sprint Workouts - Sprinting WOD
- The sprint workouts section is designed not as a complete training program in itself, but as a section providing sprint workouts...
- Sprint Training
- Sprint training is a form of training applicable across a large range of domains for both the individual and the athlete....
- Super Human Strength
- Super human strength is something all athletes and most of the general population would love to achieve. ...
- Power Training
- Power training is often a very confused and confusing component of training, for both the general public and among coaches/trainers. ..
- Psychology of Speed
- The psychology of speed, an often underestimated aspect of the development of sprinting speed...
- Ideal Fitness Program
- The ideal fitness program is something people have been searching for ever since we discovered that regular and planned training can change the....
- Training Principles
- Training principles are the universally applicable guidelines that should be met in order to achieve a given training objective...
- Training Objectives
- This is a comprehensive set of guidelines, training objectives and an overall plan to be applied to all training programs...
- Ten Components of Fitness
- The ten components of fitness are the aspects of physical development that UNLEASHED Training aims to facilitate. Most programmes focus on only one or a small number of these fitness components...
- Definition of Fitness
- The definition of fitness is so difficult to pin down. I have searched for a definition for years, ever since I first started my studies in fitness, strength and conditioning. I have witnessed...
- Unleashed Challenges - Official Unleashed Training Fitness testing and ranking.
- Welcome to the UNLEASHED Challenges section. Here you will find benchmark challenges and fitness tests based on the UNLEASHED Training methods....
- Body Weight Exercises
- The following is a list of body weight exercises used by Unleashed Training as part of the Evolve fitness program. This page includes just simple text descriptions of each exercise...
- Body Weight Workouts
- Welcome to the UNLEASHED body weight workouts. Here you will find workouts of all kinds in a mostly randomised manner....
- Ideal Strength Training Program
- The ideal strength training program is difficult to find. It is difficult because, in terms of any kind of physical conditioning...
- Minimalist Fitness Programs
- Minimalist fitness programs are simplified fitness programs that can be used for total development of one or more components of fitness. ..
- Art of Movement
- The art of movement is something you will see discussed in many texts, in one way or another. This is a concept that was visited, studied and developed hundreds and even thousands of years ago...
- Strength Articles
- Welcome to the strength articles section. Here you will find articles relating to strength training in all its forms....
- Sport and Athletic Conditioning Articles
- Welcome to the sport and athletic conditioning articles section. Here you will find articles pertaining to specific sports and athletic events....
- Weight Loss Articles
- Welcome to the weight loss articles section. Here you will find articles and information specifically targeted at weight loss/fat loss....
- Military Fitness Articles
- Welcome to the military fitness articles section. Here you will find articles and information that applies to military fitness....
- General Fitness Articles
- Welcome to the general fitness articles section. Here you will find articles and information that applies to fitness as a whole but does not fall into other categories....
- Sport and Exercise Science Articles
- Welcome to the sport and exercise science articles section. Here you will find articles and information that explains the science behind fitness and performance training, how the body works....
- Nutritional Guidelines - The Unleashed Training nutritional prescription
- The following are the basic nutritional guidelines and recommendations for Unleashed Training. It is written in plain language and is easy for you to understand.....
- Paleo Diet
- The paleo diet is a recently popular way of eating. It is gaining traction in the health and fitness world and is especially popular with fitness movements such as CrossFit.
- Boosting Testosterone
- Boosting testosterone and other hormonal functions is a somewhat obscure topic to all but the hardcore bodybuilder or strength athlete. Everyone likes to focus on training hard....
- Intermittent Fasting
- Intermittent fasting is a nutritional habit that involves periods of time throughout a 24 hour period where no food is consumed. To clarify, a period of fasting involves...
- Strength Training for Kids
- Strength training for kids is a controversial topic of conversation. Old wisdom suggests that strength training is dangerous for children and will lead to failure to grow...
- Strength training for children
- Strength training for children has been a debated topic for many years now...
- Exercise For Children
- Exercise for children is one of those new-age topics of conversation and a major money spinner for corporations trying to cash in on “what’s hot”...
- Early childhood physical development
- Early childhood physical development is just as important as childhood mental and psychological development...